Make Your Daily Life Your Gym
If you're anything like me you do not enjoy going to the gym. In high school I was a year round athlete with a part time job & extracurricular activities; staying in shape was never something I had to worry about. Now that I am older & no longer working out 15 hours a week, I have to start making an effort.
Being that the sports I did do all involved flips or dance I was not accustomed to lifting weights or running; this meant that I have to find other ways to stay in shape.
Having little free time, I decided to tweak my day to day lifestyle rather than going to the gym a few hours a week. Here are a few of my tricks:
1) Keep a clean house. The average vacuum is roughly 40 pounds, depending on how many rooms you have this is a 20 minute chore that engages your core, your arms, & elevates your heart rate. Doing the dishes after you are done eating helps your food digest. Keeping the house tidy means you are constantly up and moving around burning calories rather than slumping on the couch.
2) When you walk, engage your abs. Walk with purpose. Take steps with intention & using good form; like how you would engage your core while you're doing lunges.
3) When you are sitting sit with good posture. This uses your lower back muscles and your "muffin top". It also uses your core and traps. You will find that this also relieve neck pain since you are giving your head proper support all day.
4) Clean more! When you are bored & watching tv clean out a closet, organize the cabinets, clean the windows, wipe down the baseboards... you get the drift. This kills two birds with one stone! You exercise your body while getting those pesky household chores done.
5) Make your daily routine harder. Put the things you use everyday in harder to reach places, stepping up or bending down , when done properly can contribute to a slimmer figure.
Beautify with Coconut Oil!
1. Whip it in your mixer to make a face moisturizer that will be the best you have ever used. It won’t clog your pores either.
2. Lessen wrinkles and brown spots by rubbing it under your eyes and on your age spots
3. Use it as lip balm!
4. Use it as make up remover, just put a small amount on a tissue or cotton ball.
5. Relieve dry sinuses by putting some on a cotton swab and gently rub it around the inside of your nostrils
Now that summertime is here it is time to change our day to day makeup and skin care routines. Here is a quick quide to have a beautiful glow this summer season.
Skin: Make sure to be applying SPF after you mosterize and before you put your makeup on. This is also a great time to get in the habit of drinking plenty of water! It will keep your skin nice and firm in these dry.
Eyes: Gold, Creme, Nudes, and Bronze colors
Lips: Nude, Clear Gloss, tinted chapsticks, and shades of pinks.
BEAUTY IS MORE THAN SKIN DEEP
Yoga is a great way to add beauty not only physically but also mental and emotionally.
It builds balanced strength using nothing but the human body.
There are many YouTube videos that have great routines for those of you who want to test it out at home first.
Read more about my practice
THE MERMAID BRAID!
Halloween is right around the corner. If you're anything like me you are most likely still trying to figure out what to be. Im playing around with being a mermaid! This hairstyle works best with long hair. If you are lacking in that department and have $75 laying around (because we totally all do, not...) just drop into a Sally's Beauty Supply and grab some clip in extensions and you will be ready to braid! Headband and starfish clips available on Etsy- Poppycoast.
Start with the Starfish headband. From the side you part your hair start a loose french braid. Braid it around to your other shoulder and about 3/4 down your hair. After you secure the braid with a hair tie add the starfish pins where ever you like. I like to put one over the hair tie to disguise it a little bit. Lastly pull at the braid to loosen it and give your hair a fulll
BEAUTIFUL HEALTHY HAIR CARE
"The foundation of the WEN® system, our Cleansing Conditioner is a revolutionary non-lathering, sulfate-free formula designed to clean your hair without the use of harsh chemicals. This nourishing and moisturizing cleansing conditioner is designed to gently pamper and replenish your scalp and hair from the roots to the ends—leaving hair looking and feeling healthy, hydrated and strong."
Being artificially blonde, my hair is damaged and breaks easily. It almost seems like it doesn't grow at all. Since using this product I only have to wash my hair every other day. It's almost never frizzy, and has grown about 4 inches in 4 months.
Wet to Waves!
Here is a great hairstyle to try when you're trying to limit the amount of heat you are putting on your hair or simply because you have long todo list to get done during the day and don't have time to do your hair before a night out.
With damp hair, slip your hair into two sections. Do a french twist on both sides all the way down to the ends. Wrap around into a bun and pin into place. Once hair feels dry unpin and untwist your hair. Give yourself a good hair flip and a little hairspray and your ready to go! ** for faster results blow dry your hair while its in the twist.
I know what you're thinking! "I'M NOT A STRIPPER".
My reply, that's great neither am I.
I started Pole Fitness almost 2 years ago and I am now smaller than I was in high school. And that says a lot because I was ripped in high school.
Pole fitness not only gave me amazing lean muscle tone and strength it also gave me a much needed confidence boost.
After 24 years of failed relationships and bruises to my ego and self esteem I endured along the way I had reached an all time low of self worth and image of myself. The work out is comparable to doing a plank, wall sit, and holding a 1/2 mass pull up for an hour (if thats how long your work out is).
I learned at a studio in Atascadero, CA called Yoga Flirt, that puts yoga moves to a sexy rhythm for a 30 minute floor warm up followed by instructor guided pole moves. While there are a lot of studios to choose from in most cities in CA, I have yet to come across one like this that takes care of your physical needs and emotional growth.